What you must know before visiting Us
DOWNLOAD THIS FILE
- As our name implies, Freedom O Clock Backpackers is a RETREAT away from the everyday mundane norm. It is a place where you can escape the rat race and do just about as you want and when you want. It is a place where foreigners can experience true Amapondo culture and its a place where South African's say : "It feels like we're in a different country". Be prepared for lots of fun in the sun, love and laughs, learning about the area, and sharing sundowners on the deck with new friends.
Freedom O Clock is accessible by 2 wheel drive vehicle, although a high clearance vehicle is recommended. We advise that you arrive during daylight hours. Keep an eye out for pedestrians and animals ie cows, horses, goats etc on the roads. The last hour of your journey will be traveled on a gravel road. Conditions of roads change frequently, especially after heavy rains. The last 200m to our driveway is an off-road track and gets a bit muddy when it rains, but help is always near by. DO NOT FOLLOW A GPS OR GOOGLE MAPS!!! Please make sure to follow the detailed directions (download above) or ask for them to be emailed or Whatsapp'd to you. GPS and Google maps take you to the opposite side of the river (Tshani Point) which is a 45 minute detour. Let us know if you will be travelling along the coastal dirt road from Port St Johns as we have a map that we can send you.
Please note that the locals might offer various products such as crayfish, oysters, beadwork, shells, woven grass mats and even cannabis or magic mushrooms for sale. Don't take offence and Don't judge as this might be the only means of income for a particular household.
- We rely on rainwater only. Please make sure to use water sparingly.
- We use solar powered batteries for lights and charging of electronic devices.
- Fridge, Freezers and Stoves run on gas and space is limited.
- We stock a limited variety of beverages and alcoholic drinks. Just enquire beforehand if you have "serious preferences". Please try to bring returnable bottles if you do decide to bring your own drinks.
- We offer very limited self catering over peak seasons. Being completely off the grid our freezer facilities can not cope with too many heavy loads, ie. keeping a large groups meat frozen for 10 days. You are welcome to self cater for either breakfast or lunch. Just let us know the evening before if you will be having breakfast or lunch self catered.
- Also be sure to bring along all your favourite treats, drinks, smokes, etc... Spazas only stock a limited amount of the very basics. Local beers ie Black Label, Hansa and Redds Cider & Savanah are available at shebeens.No crayfish out of season (1 November – 1 March)
- Do not throw sweets out your car window or just dish them out on the side of the road to the children shouting for sweets. It only encourages the local kids to beg plus there are no dentists in the rural areas.
- Please try and limit your refuse and use of non-refundable bottles.
- We suggest you bring along your own firewood / charcoal, as wood sold locally are mostly indigenous trees from the forest.
- Recycling is one of our main concerns. Please note that should your child use disposable diapers you are requested to bring along your own diaper bags and to take them with you to dispose in a municipal area. Diapers are not bio-degradable and do not burn.
- We have 2 very friendly dogs, then there's the neighbours dog and the neighbours neighbours dogs.... they all pop in from time to to time to say hi. If you have dogs, please make sure they are kept under control. You will be held responsible and liable should your dog hunt / kill livestock.
- If you would like to assist the community in some way, you can bring along old clothes, toys, soccer balls, dog food, fishing gear and tools or anything else you might think the local residents could benefit from.... even fancy sweet wrappers are used in the decoration of their woven grass mats J
- To experience the true beauty of Mdumbi we advise at least a 2 night stay, unless you are already in the area, or your next destination is close by. We are situated off the beaten track (that’s the beauty of it) with about a 2 hour drive off the main national road.
- For those who have not yet traveled to the Wild Coast it should be pointed out that you will be traveling in an under-developed region. The variety and quality of goods and services you may be accustomed to are not always readily available. We are set in a remote and primitive region, where even the provision of fresh water can not be taken for granted. Taking this into account we aim to achieve the highest possible standards and we feel it is best to make you aware of this.
- If you prefer luxury to comfortable living then the Freedom O Clock vibe might not be for you.
- Booking is recommended, or call ahead to check availability
- We are a responsible 420Friendly establishment as of 18 September 2018 with the South African Constitutional Court ruling that cannabis can be consumed in a private space. 420 Friendly in its weakest sense means tolerance and acceptance of those who do like to partake in the cannabis plant. Sort of like “I don’t, thanks, but I don’t mind if you do.” Remember, many tourists are from countries where the use of cannabis is legal and they are allowed to use it either for recreational use of medicinal.
- Please note that cannabis IS NOT SOLD at Freedom O Clock and that the selling and buying of cannabis is still illegal in South Africa. We practice BYOC.
PLEASE MAKE SURE TO SHARE ALL OF THE ABOVE INFO WITH THE REST OF
YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS OR GROUP